Derek, Breck, Jocelyn & Grayson

Derek, Breck, Jocelyn & Grayson

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Jocelyn's 1st Birthday Party

Today we had Jocelyn's 1st birthday party!  I have been planning for weeks, and at first I really struggled with the idea of having a big party, or a smaller one.  When I was little, my Mom made a big deal about birthdays, so I knew having a big party was what she would have wanted me to do....so I did! 

The theme was "Under the Big Top" or a "Circus".  I kind of got carried away?!?  Oh, well....I am proud of everything that we did.

WARNING:  This is a long post with LOTS of pictures!

I am very proud of our balloon arch.  Derek and I stayed up really late and made it.

Got a little crazy with the sidewalk chalk.  It was fun to see the messages that everyone left for Jocelyn.

Very cute door sign

Apparently, I like chalk?!?

Party favors.  They each had stickers, candy, bubbles and a circus animal of some type.

I thought this was cute

Above the table is a pennant flag with a picture of Jocelyn sitting in the chair in her room for each month out of the year.  Everyone really liked looking at them and seeing how big she has gotten. 

Our menu was corny dogs, hot dogs and sliders.  We also had animal crackers, chips, popcorn....and fruit (had to throw something healthy in there, right?)

 Some more 12 month pictures of Jocelyn next to her birthday party invitation.
Lynna made Jocelyn's smash cake as well as the cupcakes for everyone.  They were very good, thanks Lynna!


Notice Jocelyn's precious outfit!  Her onesie is monogrammed with the #1 under the tent, and her name "Jocelyn Ann" below.  I personally made the tutu for her to wear.  It lasted long only enough to get some cute pictures.





The Jones Family enjoying some cotton candy and a snow cone

Our cotton candy expert, Brad, attempting to get the cotton candy machine up and running.  We also had a snow cone machine, which was very nice to have considering it was 145 degrees outside.

Jocelyn wouldn't have anything to do with it?  Every time we would try to put some in her mouth, she would turn her head.  Oh well.

 Another close up of Miss Jocelyn in her very cute birthday outfit!
Grandma Lynna made Jocelyn's smash cake






Overall, she was really delicate with the cake eating.  She didn't demolish the cake, but definitely was covered in icing. 

We also transformed our garage into a big circus tent.  We had games for the kids, and of course the ever popular blow up pool with balls in it. 


Jocelyn was very excited about her new Gyro Bowl that Aunt Blaire and Uncle Steven got her.  She wasn't really into the gifts, just wanted to eat the paper and the Gyro Bowl 
I had to put this picture on here, because about halfway through the gift opening, I realized that I wasn't taking notes on who got Jocelyn what.....and I look over and Miss Emma has a pen and a piece of paper as if she was "taking notes" for me, so cute!

I see now why you really don't open gifts at a one year old birthday party.  I had a lot of assistance from all of the other guests (Emma and Blake)....and my child was sitting in a chair...............

with a present ribbon on her head eating her Gyro Bowl, sigh............

Jocelyn's last gift was a handmade table.  Grandaddy worked very hard to make Jocelyn this precious table to enjoy for many years.  As I mentioned up top, my Mom would always make a BIG deal out of birthdays.  Every time my sister or I would have a birthday, we would wake up to a birthday breakfast at our little table (very similar to this one) and have donut holes and chocolate milk using our little tea set.  Don't hate, people, but this tradition definitely happened until I was in approximately 6th grade.  BUT, it was very special and I plan to do the same thing for Jocelyn.  Ironically, Aunt Blaire (my sister) got Jocelyn a tea set (in picture) to continue the Bass girl birthday tea party tradition. 

Overall the party was a success!  Everything turned out exactly how I imagined it.  I know Jocelyn won't remember her first birthday, but I will.  I am so thankful that we were able to share this special day with our friends and family.  Jocelyn is a very loved little girl and she brings so much joy to our lives! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the pictures...I feel like we were there! We were bummed we were out of town and missed her big day. Happy Birthday, J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet party. I can't believe it has already been a year. Time flys by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a blast! Mark and E had a great time! Sorry she was out of control with the presents, but hopefully she made up for it with the note taking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet girl! Love the pictures - you did an AMAZING job on her party!!!!

    ReplyDelete